Friday, March 28, 2008

Tutu Tutorial~ Finally!



Ok, I know I promised long long ago to post the very difficult directions for making your very own poofy tutu. Now I should say that these are for children but if you feel the need for poof in your own life, then by all means go for it, just add a few more yards to the recipe. Also, I cannot give you my ancient Chinese secret tutu pattern without also telling you that you cannot screw this up, BELIEVE me, I have no sewing skills at all and you would never know it by looking at the tutus. I am sure if you can sew it would be even quicker for you.



Ok here is goes, first you need to pick up some tulle from your local fabric store, I usually go to Joannes and wait for a sale, you can get it sometimes for 50 cents a yard. For this particular tutu I used 2 yards of pink and 1 yard of lavendar. You can come up with all sorts of color combinations if you wish. You will also need some matching thread, a needle, and a package of elastic for the waistband.




The first step is to measure the waist of the child that will be wearing the tutu. If you need to guess , that is ok too because the elastic will give a little. Cut the elastic and set it aside. You will now need to cut the tulle. I usually fold the tulle to make it easier to cut, I set it on the floor and make a fan fold and I cut the tulle about every 3-4 inches.



Now I simply start tying the tulle in a knot around the elastic until I reach the end, you can move the tulle around a bit once you are finished to fill in any holes you may have. If you are using more than one color, you simply alternate the colors as you wish. Seriously a little bit of tulle goes a long ways once it is fluffed.




When you have finished tying all of your knots, sew the ends together any way you know how to sew, make sure it is good and secure. Give it a good shake, you may need to trim the ends in order for them to be uniform. At this point you can add ribbons, a flower to the waistband etc. Whatever your little heart desires. Here is this particular tutu after it was finished. Your little princess will love it!!



Now there is only one rule for giving away my ancient Chinese secret, if you make one you have to send me a picture!!! Have fun!

12 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing your ancient Chinese secret! Looks like I need to make a trip to Joann's.

Leslie said...

Thanks Leslie for the Chinese secret of the Tutu.

I'm going to have to make my girls one for sure.

When did you have time to do this post girl???? Your so kind to all your bloggy friends, with everything you have had going on.

Thanks again.

Melanie said...

I just love those tutu's! Myah looks so little in the first picture.
Where has the time gone?

I am so happy that she is healed!

Love ya, Sess!

Heather said...

This is awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Both my girls need tutus...now, if I can just find the time to do it!! (and I'm not 100% sure I have the talent to pull thi soff, but you know I am gonna try!)

Thanks again - so thoughtful are you!

Heather

Joanne said...

Oooooooooo, thank you so much! I cannot wait to give it a try!

Sheri said...

Thanks for the directions with PICTURES. I know you've told me how to make a tutu, but I still couldn't wrap my brain around it. Now that I have pictures to look at, I think I could probably do it. It was great talking to you tonight. I'm so glad Myah is doing better. Can't wait to see you guys on Wednesday!

Dawn said...

You know I am going to give this a try!!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Is it possible I can do this????

I owe you a picture of Lindy wearing the one you made...She loves it.

Thanks for educating us. I have so much to learn...

xoxo,
Lisa

3 Peanuts said...

Leslie,

You are a woman of so many talents. I need to come intern at your house too (I have already applied to Lori's but the status of my application is still pending!). You amaze me. Here you are in the midst of so much and you take the time to teach us Mommies your special ancient Chinese secret!!! You're the best!

Kim

Football and Fried Rice said...

Perfect for a princess!! I can't wait to try this:) Really! We are LID 4/30/07 & while we are waiting for our princess - this may be the perfect pastime! We'll see if "anybody" really can do this!

Lori said...

Ok, I was all excited to make one for myself~
until I got to the bottom and it said I had to send a picture! :(
Trust me, you would NOT want to see me in a tutu!! LOL
Thanks for the instructions~ I might give this a try~ I tried before making it up as I went and it was a complete disaster! :)

Renee said...

i would like to make a tutu for my daughter.I bought the tulle in bright pink and bright green and she wants the green to be under the pink. how do i layer them for a cute tutu!?