Tuesday, April 1, 2008

An Apple A Day will keep the Dr away!

I finally did it, I went to my doctor today. I have been struggling with getting nauseous after eating dinner and I am miserable the rest of the night. Not easy to take care of the kiddos when you are sick and hubby works midnights. Dayton has been a huge helper lately. The last few weeks it has been getting more and more frequent and I have had it with taking Pepto. So this morning I called and got into my doctor. First of all she asked if I was pregnant, I laughed as usual but she really was hoping that is what it was. Of course it was negative but we had a good giggle about it. She seems to think it is acid reflux. So I am starting some meds tomorrow that will hopefully help me. Please God make this work for me! Dayton has baseball practice every night, it would not be fun. She also ran tons of bloodwork to help diagnose my hormonal issues. She thinks alot of it could be due to my thyroid, I am hoping that is the case and she can just up my daily dose. She did mention the menopause word, we'll see. I do not like to take any medications so this will be different for me to get used to needing drugs in my system but I know it is what I have to do to feel good. I have too much life to live right now to be bogged down with health issues. She also said my bloodpressure was borderline high. Now there is a big surprise. I could have told her that! And the best news of all was that she is sending me to the spine clinic for my back. I told her that I would love to work out and when I try I always end up laid up for a week after I pull my back out. I broke my tailbone when I was 11 and growing, this screwed me up bad. I pointed this out to my doctor today and she said that she could tell by looking at me that I was crooked. Yes, my legs, hips, shoulders, are crooked, due to my back. I cope with chronic back pain daily, hourly and every single minute. I am prayinig that this spine clinic will be just what I need. So until I get my bloodwork back I will not have any answers. Hopefully soon I will know what is making me miserable. I have given up caffeine and I am doing pretty good now. I also have to figure out what foods are making me ill, I think I have it narrowed down to greasy and tomato-y foods. I love things with tomatoes so this is going to be tough for me. As long as I don't have to give up chocolate, I will be happy! I will keep you posted!

9 comments:

Somewhere In The Sun said...

Wow, it sounds like you are at least on the right track to getting well. I injured my tailbone when I was about the same age. It caused me back pain for many many years, so I feel for you.
Any time I'm nauseous my husband will ask me if I'm pregnant. I just laugh too!

~Lynn

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Dear Leslie,

I am very proud of you for FINALLY making and taking the time to take care of your health. I know it isn't easy and it is sooooo easy to rationalize all the reasons why you can't.

I am sorry for all the medical issues you've been encountering. I completely understand living with pain, forgetting what it feels like to feel good, not wanting to be on a bunch of meds, etc., etc. I hope the doctors will be able to find what is ailing you and treat it in a manner that is most effective with minimal side effects.

A better you is a gift to your loved ones!

Love,
Lisa

Kim said...

Glad to hear you went to the Dr. Hope you hear the results of your blood tests soon and the new meds start to help. At least you've been able to rule out your not pregnant.

If only it were as simple as an apple a day.

Melanie said...

Yeah Sessie! After months, no ...YEARS of telling you to go, you finally did it! I still remember when you broke your tailbone...Aren't we blessed to have inherited those crooked backs: ) I am glad that you went. I am glad that you are finding out what your problems are. But most of all, I am sooo glad that you are my sister!!! Love ya!

Danielle Moss said...

Leslie,

I just went to the doctor yesterday (J made me make the appointment) and was put on medicine for acid reflux.

The doctor actually told me the only things that aren't great for acid reflux are chocolate (sorry!), alcohol, caffeine (you probably need a little here and there?), and smoking. Were you told anything else?

He also said 90% of the time it's caused by stress, and while I enjoy my job it is stressful and has definitely made it worse. I hope you're feeling better soon. It is NOT a good feeling.

My back goes out for a few days at least once a year so I feel for you feeling chronic back pain. I get sore from time to time but couldn't imagine pain every day. I hope they can help you!

When you can start working out, you should join my workout blog and start blogging about your different exercise routines.

Danielle

Erin said...

I am so NOT a doctor (my husband is, and he doesn't like it when I start diagnosing things...) but one of our sons has a gallstone. He sometimes gets sick after eating, esp. greasy foods. Anyway, I wouldn't stop investigating until I found out the cause for sure. Just my two cents.

Penny said...

Oh, girlfriend, I know what your going through. I was diagnosed with acid reflux also and yes, all of the good stuff is bad: chocolate, caffeine, coffee, tomato-y based products and the biggest - STRESS! When you are able to start exercising, it will releive a lot of the discomfort, but give the meds. time as it will take away the current feeling, but it needs time to repair your esophogus(sp).

Keep the faith and remember, only the good moms deal with all of this until we can't anylonger and then go to the doctors. I love you sweetheart!
~Penny

Jodee said...

Hope you are feeling better soon!

3 Peanuts said...

Oh Leslie,

I too have spine issues and the chiropractoir has made life SO much better for me. I hope you get all of the answers you need and can get on a good program to feel better. i hate that you are in pain.

Kim