Thursday, April 17, 2008

Old Cookbooks And Recipes

Both of my grandmothers cookbooks side by side
This is the German Cookbook from Mark's family
A few new cookbooks that I have added to my collection just for desserts!
I have these sitting on my kitchen counter, new and old!
This was my grandmothers secret recipe stash. This is my secret recipe stash from my friends and family, I treasure all of them!

I love to collect old cookbooks from my family. I have been luck enough to receive the same Better Home and Gardens cook book from both of my Grandmothers, one from each side, I treasure them both. They were both very loved! I also have cookbooks that my family members have purchased for me from their local hometowns where they grew up. I even have a very well used cookbook from Mark's family and it is all in German, boy if I thought I was a bad cook now, just try cooking with German directions! I also treasure recipes that I gather from my family and friends written in their own handwriting. When we got married my mom wrote me out all of our favorite recipes and gave them to me with little hints that a new bride needs to know. If I am somewhere and the particular dish is really good, I will always ask for a copy, then I know it is something that I love and I think of that person every time I make it for my family. I am not one to look through a cookbook and try new things, I love having a tried and true recipes that I know we will like. I am trying to break out of that mold a little bit now that I have to watch what I eat a bit more closely. Do you have a treasured recipe? I would love to try it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cookbooks are so fun to collect and page through! I just got a new one this week and am saving it for this weekend to read. :-)

Was that German one from Grandma S.? I hope it came with a German/English dictionary! Ha Ha! If you're going to translate any of them, go for the pages with food splatters and smudges.

Vicki

Dawn said...

I love cookbooks too!! I started collecting, but do not have any really old family books...that is so wonderful to have both Grandmothers'...and the one in German!!

3 Peanuts said...

Oh how I love cookbooks...These are so special because they ahve been in yur family:) When is your b-day? I am sending you my FAVORITE cookbook!

Love,
Kim

Lori said...

I love cookbooks too and I save recipes in a notebook that I use quite a bit. I'm kinda funny about cookbooks though, I'll only buy ones that I know I'll use (for some reason it bugs me to have cookbooks around that don't get used lol) and they have to have pictures in them! :)
That is great that you've collected so many special and treasured recipes~ and it always help to know that they're ones you'll like!

An Independent View said...

I love all the hand written pieces of paper - it feels sooo special. I bought a nice leather bound three ring notebook and filled it with acid free sleeve pages for photographs. That way you see the front and the back. You can slip it out of the book when you need it and the smudges can be wiped off. It's my favorite cookbook!