Thursday, April 17, 2008

R.I.P. My Dear Sweet Autum Clematis

Myah loved watching the birdies that had built their nests in our clematis
We live on a very windy street, we are kind of out in the country and our subdivision is built on an old pig farm, nice huh? So there is lots of open space out here. A great place to fly a kite but not so friendly to anything that I keep outdoors. We have had our glass patio table shatter into a million pieces, our front storm door blew open, was ripped off its hinges and shattered into a million pieces as well. I now have a "living room" type patio set with ceramic tiles on the top, a fixed up screen door that you have to slam every time you enter my house because I am too cheap to replace it just to be broken again. Yes, the wind can wreck havoc on anything we keep outside but this past winter the wind claimed my favorite sweet autumn clematis. This is the only clematis plant that has actually survived my gardening skills and it was so beautiful, pretty white lacy flowers that bloomed around the time that school starts in the fall. I loved it because it was on the trellis that I had dug up from my grandparents home before it was sold. A huge windstorm broke it right at the base. I was sick when we had to carry it down to the fire pit in the back 40. The other day I was cleaning up my flower bed and I saw little green shoots coming up from the ground where it once stood so I am hoping that maybe it will take off once again.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

This is so sad! I recently lost my new hydrangeas to 22 degree weather. :( I hope yours come back!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! :-( I am really into gardening and have been trying to decide the best spot to plant a clematis or two this summer. Those pictures of yours look very nice. I am waiting to see if my new hydrangeas from last year made it before I get any more of those too.

Vicki

ruths said...

We have so many things in common I too collect old cookbooks and have a ton... I tend to pick them up at gargae sales or at the good will. I have several from my grandmother and I cherish them. Also know you and your family is in my prayers. Bob and I have you all on our prayer list.

Lori said...

Aaahh, I hope it grows back bigger and better than ever. :)