Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Prayers for Mom

Last week at Mom's second party, she received a letter from the Governor and everything!  We are so proud of her!  Mom was  a working woman before it was THE thing to be!  This is l-r: Me, Mom, Mel
Well, the time has come, mom's surgery is tomorrow.  She retired today.  Kind of hard to celebrate when you aren't allowed to eat anything other than clear liquids and spend the evening cleaning out your body (sorry but it is the truth).  We should be celebrating the fact that she has worked her last day in 32 1/2 years, that day will come.  Right now we need to focus on getting her well and getting the cancer out of her body.  It is so hard to live away, I am going to head up north tomorrow, bless everyone who is taking care of my children in one way or another so I can be with her and my sister.  Another reason we should be celebrating is because today is my sister Melanie's birthday, oh to be 38 again!!!  Instead of eating cake and drinking champagne I am packing, cleaning, donating a closests worth of clothes to charity, dropping my outdated magazines off at the library and my house will hopefully be spotless by the nights end.  I feel the need to get all my ducks in a row so to speak when I know life will be crazy.  I have been down this road so many times with our loved ones it is a shame that  I know so much about how to prepare for it.  Packing a larger purse to have up at the hospital, one that can hold a book and a few magazines along with anything I may need during the day.  Having extra food on hand for my kids to snack on while I am gone, setting outfits out so that my hubby doesn't have to guess at what "goes" together for Myah.  I know that all of this seems pretty trivial but it is what I have to do in order to feel better about everything. 
I pray that mom's cancer will be a part of her past, that we never have to bring it up again.  That she can start enjoying her retirement as soon as possible.  We can hardly wait.  Please pray for my mom Linda, she has never had a surgery of any kind, she is putting on a brave face for us girls but I am sure she is worried too.  The Dr's are removing a portion of her colon tomorrow and also her gall bladder, they found some polyps on that as well.  She feels great now, you would never know that anything is wrong with her, except that she is thin, so we hope that her strength will help in her recovery.  She has some pretty special angels watching over her.  It is expected to be a 4 hour surgery and she could be in the hospital anywhere from 4-7 days.  After that my sister has a gorgeous suite already prepared for mom's recooperation.
We have just gone from one surgery to the next around here, I am in my 5th month of playing nurse.  Dayton is doing much better, ( I know I keep forgetting to update on his condition), his second surgery went very well, the screws and plate are gone, he is starting therapy again and hopefully this was the answer to all of the unusual swelling. 
   I just had to add a few pictures from mom's retirement photos, her office put on two retirement parties for her, this was the last one, Mel and I gave a little speech and a few gifts.  I had to laugh, someone must have grabbed my camera for me (hence the quaility but I don't care!), ok, we are a family of many facial expressions!  If you know me you already know how quirky I can be, but it really shows in this sequence of photos of Me, Mom and my sister Melanie.  Thought you would get a giggle out of these!
 Mom loving the new watch from Mel.
 Not sure what we are laughing about but this is soooo us!!!!  What is up with my cat that swallowed the canary grin?!!!
 Not sure what little ditty about Mom I was dishing about here but Mel must have agreed!
 Aren't we so attractive?!!! ha ha!!! I don't care, we know how to work a room!!! ha ha!! I think after mom retires we could be a traveling side show! We love being on stage!!
 This was at Mom's surprise retirement party, she was very surprised! Her coworkers loved working for her, they said she ruled with an " iron fist inside a velvet glove" I loved that!!!
 Grandma and her granddaughters.

Many friends came to celebrate with mom.
 Mom and her daughters
Mom and her cake, just in case you were wondering who she was standing by!  Ha ha!

Our family, minus Mel's hubby Chris, Dayton had just had his surgery two days before bless his heart he was a trooper to ride in the car for 4 hours!


Sorry this is such a heavy post but I know there is power in prayer, and we need it, all that we can get!!! Thank you so much!!!!


12 comments:

Dawn said...

oh Leslie...I will be praying for your Mom and your Dear family...I can only imagine the anxious feeling you all must have. Praying for a successful surgery and healing for your Mom...Melanie set up a gorgeous place for her to relax and heal...praying praying praying...xoxo

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for your mom, she is beautiful.

NanaDiana said...

Just so you know- I am praying for your Mom, Linda, tonight before I go to bed and she will be on my heart in the morning as I pray for her then. She is a beautiful woman and I can tell just by looking at her that she is a loving and kind person.

I know how worried you are and how much you love her. Just turn her over to the Heavenly Father and ask him to bless the hands of the surgeons and to hedge her around with angels. You need a bit of hedging too...so I will be praying for all of you.

Sleep well, sweet girl and know that it is God's hands..Hugs, Diana

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have been praying for your mom for some time, since I read Melanie's blog. Praying for you both to sense God's presence with you as you await your mom coming out of surgery and praying for no complications.

fondly,
Glenda

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Your Mom must be an amazing lady!!! And such a pretty one too. Love seeing the pictures and hearing about her retirement. I will be praying for her on Thursday and also you, as well. I know she will be in good hands. Please keep us posted on her progress. she is blessed to have 2 sweet daughters! I am a cancer survivor. My 7 year anniversary is this Saturday! Love & blessings from NC!

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

I will be praying for your Mom and your guys tomorrow. I pray that all goes incredibly well and she can live it up for the rest of her days. You guys all look so close and happy. Congrats on her retirement!

Polly said...

Sending lots of love and prayers your way.

Unknown said...

Praying for your beautiful mother...and all of you.

xo,

annie

3 Peanuts said...

Leslie...you and your family have been on my mind this week. I am praying for you all and mostly healing for your Mom. I am so sorry that your family has been through so much in the past few years. it is time for a miracle. Time to rejoice. I am praying for just that!!!!

Love,
Kim

P.S. It is so evident that your Mom is very loved....the retirement parties look SO nice. You all look beautiful and joyful!!!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Your momma was already on my heart this morning. Thank you so much for giving me a peek inside your special day. I feel like I know all of you a little better. Praying complete healing for her!

Heaven's Walk said...

You, your family, and especially your mom will be in my prayers. May God comfort you and bring you peace.

xoxo laurie

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie~ I see on Melanie's blog and then I saw a bit on facebook that your mom is doing well in recovery. You girls sure have faced some stress this year! I'm glad to hear the good news about your mom's recovery. Are you still with her or have you headed back home? I'm sure it will be so hard to leave. What an incredible party for your mama! I would LOVE for someone to plan me a party like that! It would be a dream!