Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mom, The Perfect Patient


 
I am so thankful to report that my Mom came home from the hospital in record time!  She came home on Sunday!  We were expecting her stay to last at least till Monday or Tuesday but she was doing so well, eating on her own, drinking, having bodily functions, etc that there was no reason to keep her there.  She was ready to fly!!! We are so thankful for all of your prayers, they are working, we will feel better after her pathology reports come back, that will be the deciding factor in if she needs to have chemo or not.  She looks amazing!  We took her out of the hospital in her style, with heels on, lipstick, hair curled and in her Cadillac!  They ended up removing about a foot and a half of her colon, a tumor half the size of a tangerine, and her gallbladder.  It wasn't until a few days after her surgery we learned they also removed her appendix. She got a 3 for 1!!!  She is always looking for deals!!  She is resting comfortably at my sister's house, I have to say there is much more responsibility for Mom due to the fact that Dad is no longer with us.  We worry about her more and want to make sure she is not overdoing things.  You know she is itching to make a run to TJ Maxx as soon as she gets the go ahead, she retired the day before her surgery, she is anxious to get on with her new life. 
Mom told me that she felt the warmth of all the prayers being said for her, she truly feels blessed.  She went in for her surgery at 11:15 am and we did not get to see her until 7:30 p.m., it was a long day.  The skies that night were just peppered with stars, Melanie and I both commented on them, I looked up for a second to admire them and I saw a shooting star, I knew that was my sign from our Heavenly angels that they had not left Mom's side.  I am sure you know what I wished for.  No more cancer!! 
I am home now, it was not easy to leave but I know she is in great hands.  I have a little girl at home with spots and a bad cough, I just cannot catch a break from my nursing duties!  I am a busy body this week, Dayton starts therapy again today, and it is Homecoming week for him, he actually asked a girl to the dance, this is a first, I am so excited but trying to act cool!  I am very proud of his decision.  So I am off to shop for dress clothes with my 15 year old this evening, should be fun, ( just kidding! If you have a son you know what it mean!). 
I cannot thank you all enough for covering our family with your prayers and well wishes, I am so grateful to have so many kindred spirits!  Bless you all! 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bless her...she looks beautiful. I am so glad all went well and sending a prayer that no chemo is needed.

xo,

annie

Farmgirl Paints said...

So glad to hear she is doing well. What a trooper...good grief. Then she leaves dressed to the nines. Gotta love that. I'm sure she will be having a ball and in good care with Melanie. That's got to be a comfort to you being so far away. Have fun shopping tonight.

Heaven's Walk said...

Your mom looks just fantastic, Leslie! What a beautifully classy lady! :) I will keep praying that no chemo is needed and she has a quick and painless recovery at your sister's (in that beautiful bedroom!). Bless you for being such a wonderful daughter....:)

xoxo laurie

NanaDiana said...

Leslie- I am so glad your Mom breezed through this surgery. Now we need to just keep praying for the next miracle...that they got it all. We went through something similar with my hubby last Fall and so I know the anxiety of waiting.

She looks like she is ready to take on the world in her "coming out" party! Hugs to you sweet girl-Diana

paige said...

your mom is quite the trooper!!
obviously that fighter spirit is going to do so much good for her healing!
have fun during all the homecoming thrills!

Shannon said...

She looks great! I'm so glad to hear she is doing well and did so good in her surgery. Praying for a quick recovery and that no chemo is needed!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

How does one look this lovely after major surgery? It must help to control the things you can control. . . and she knocked looking gorgeous out of the park.

Prayers continue.
Glenda