Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Old Country Church

Ever since I can remember I have had  a love of old churches and cemetaries. The other day I was driving to a photo shoot for a very special family and I took the back roads.  On the way there I passed this church, I have seen it several times and each time I think I need to stop and take a few photos but I am usually in the car with my family who is anxious to get back home.  Not this day though, I was alone.  I had just left my friends home when I passed this church again, this time I stopped. No one was around.  The sun was so warm and bright, it just lit up the gorgeous oak trees like someone had turned on a switch. 



On the church grounds there is a small old cemetary.  My grandparents lived across the street from a cemetary and I grew up riding bikes and taking walks through there (they now rest there themselves), so I have never been afraid of cemetaries, I find them peaceful actually. 
I took this photo through the window, the sun was shining so pretty through the curtains, making them almost transparent. 

When I was a little girl my Dad used to turn on "The Old Country Church " and sing it with us, it was one of his favorite gospel songs.  This little church brought back so many warm memories, I am so thankful that I finally took the time to stop. 

10 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh, I am so glad you took the time to stop too...and time to take pictures to share with us. I love old churches too...but I really love all the history in old cemetaries aod some of the lovely old stones. Hugs-Diana

All That Jazz said...

I am glad you did too~ your photos are so beautiful! WOW! My parents live near and old cemetery and we often walk or ride bikes through there, too. It's always peaceful, I have never been spooked (although at night I probably would be! :) One time, some teens vandalized and tipped some of the headstones, I was SO mad!
~michelle~

Tami / Maddie Lumpkin said...

Just happened upon your blog. I have always loved old cemeteries since I was a kid.I too find them very peaceful.Beautiful old church!

Heaven's Walk said...

Mmmmmm.....what a peaceful, inspirational, memorable time you had there. Your photos are beautiful and calming just to gaze at.....You caught autumn at her best. :)

xoxo laurie

paige said...

sweet friend, i LOVE those images!!
wow!!
what a gorgeous series...seriously that first image should be on a card or something!!
you are so talented.

i was just thinking of your mom today & prayed for her to continue healing!

ps, i told caroline about myah's sweet photos and about her unfortunate grooming move. she has been asking me to show her the pictures. how funny!! your myah is gorgeous. & you take fabulous photos of that sweet girl!

Becky said...

Everyone thinks me and Mr. Z are weird and morbid because on almost any trip we take, we always look for old cemeteries. Even on our honeymoon. One of our favorite cemeteries is in Galveston. We stopped by it one day to discover it was COVERED in wild-flowers.

http://overatthelittlehouse.blogspot.com/2010/05/galveston-2009.html

Your photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Becky Z

Unknown said...

I am in awe!
Jen at The Gifted Giver

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely gorgeous pictures! Don't you just feel blessed and thankful when you get to see something so beautiful ~
I especially love the one through the window.
Old churches are one of my most favorite places ... I always dreamed of living in one. I think that would be the most peaceful place to live. Thanks for taking us along on your stop ~
happy fall!
Sarah

Jen Kershner said...

That is incredibly gorgeous! My Sweet Hubby and I got married in a little chapel in the middle of a cemetery. I'm sure some thought it was weird but we loved it.

liv said...

OOOH I love that church! I want to go for a visit! You've inspired me to stop next time I'm driving by one of those darling little white churches I've always admired!
Blessings,
Olivia