Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Finding Balance


I took this on Mackinac Island

I find myself doing a balancing act lately.  I really feel like this summer was a bummer for our family and that really upsets me.  I am trying to see the bright side of things, like getting to spend tons of quality time together under one roof while taking care of Dayton and his needs.  Just last week he had his last appt. with the surgeon and she lifted all of his restrictions, he was thrilled and wanted to go immediately to tennis practice.  This poor kid is going stir crazy!  Unfortunately, over the past few days he has developed quite a bump at the bottom of his 7 inch scar, we asked his physical therapist about it  and he told Dayton it was time to take a rest, grab a megaphone and pom poms and cheer from the sidelines, he was not happy about this at ALL!!  And as his momma my heart was broken too. The surgeon wanted to see him and she determined that he either has a stress fracture or that he has an infection due to irritation by the hardware (screws and plate).  She wants him to not do anything physical for 2 weeks, then we go back in and see what she says.  It has been 3 months since he broke it and had surgery.  To say he is frustrated is an understatement but he does not complain, EVER!  Bless his heart!  So please pray that after this next 2 weeks he will be able to resume to normal activity without any complications.  If we do then it looks like the plate will have to come out, something we had not planned on for about another year or so (if ever). 
So inspite of all of the medical issues we have dealt with this summer we are trying to squeeze in a few small activities before school starts next week.  I feel the need to clean and organize, a summer with all of us living here around the clock has taken its toll on the house but oh well, it can wait till the kiddos go to school!  I am going to have to adjust to not having any children at home, Myah will be going to all day kindergarten, except for Fridays, that is her day off.  I am really looking forward to some peace around here even though I will miss them terribly!  It has been a LOOOONG summer! 

Mom and I this past weekend
We have another situation in our family right now that has our family on our knees.  My mom has been working for 32 years and is retiring at the end of September!  We are so happy for her!  She has worked full time since I was 8 years old, I can't wait to make some memories with her finally!!!   As she puts it "her timing is impecable, unfortunately,  she went in for a colonoscopy and cancer was found.  She has had a few procedures in the past 2 months and we are awaiting a cat scan and an appt. with the surgeon to learn about everything going on and when the surgery will be.  Of course this all happens to be at a time when she should be celebrating, Why are things always so bittersweet?  I hate to see her retire under these circumstances but we are trying to see the bright side, she will be able to not use any sick time at work, or feel obligated to rush back, she can take all the time she needs to recover.    It does scare us but we have faith that they caught everything early but we will know more in a few weeks.  I ask that you please keep her in your prayers.   I really did not think that this is something we would have to deal with so soon after losing my Dad but we know that  our faith and trust will get us through.  These are the times when I wish I did not live 2 hours away.


So as my first month in my 40's has passed I realize how patient I have become over the summer.  I have discovered that I am much stronger than I ever imagined.  I have learned to just "let things go" and to "go with the flow" so much easier than I used to.  I can be content at home and just "be" without finding a million reasons as to why I need to be on the go.  I have learned that I have such a beautiful little family, my husband and children make me so happy ( so frustrated too at times), but I have been able to enjoy sweet time with them that I will never get back again, I loved staying up late at night watching tv with Dayton while we had to sleep downstairs.  I learned so much about him!  I think it gave him a new perspective on us too, he wrote me just the sweetest thank you note that made me cry. 


The last day in their house, the movers were there packing.  Taylor, Lora and Rachel were left to clean up!
We also are bummed because Mark's older brother Scott and his family just moved to Iowa, he received a great promotion and decided to leave.  We are missing them so much already!!  I will miss Lora's sweet advice, she is an amazing Christian mother and wife, she has been a great role model for me!  We are learning how to Skype so that should help close the gap between us.  We can hardly wait to visit them! They just moved out there last week, Scott has been gone since May, Lora and Rachel were finally able to join them.  Myah told me last night that she misses Rachel, and that Rachel told her that whenever she misses her Myah can call her, she is so sweet!  Nate and Taylor are both at college now in two different states, I don't know how she balances everything the way she does. 
 I realize this post has become lengthy but I finally had time to put a few thoughts down.  I ask that you cover our family in your prayers, we have so many areas that need it right now.  Now I am off to enjoy the last week that is left of summer!!!

For some reason this picture cannot be removed!  Maybe it is a sign that I need to really find some balance,ha ha!

11 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh Leslie! What a time of it you have had. My heart is aching for all you have had to go through this past few weeks and months. I know how hard it is to want to "fix" things for your son and your Mom and know that you are helpless in the face of medical issues!

I will keep all of you in my prayers. I pray that your son continues to heal and can deal with the medical issues and not get depressed because of his situation. I will also pray that your Mom's cancer was caught early and that they can cure her. There are so many new treatments today and options. I know how scary it is and I'm sure it is worse because you are not living close by to help her out. She looks like a pretty "with-it" lady to me...and I'm betting that she will sail through this ordeal with dignity and peace.

God bless you, my dear-It's like you turned 40 and WHAM...you found the real woman that was there all along. Diana

Farmgirl Paints said...

Lots of stuff going on. Things I can relate to. I completely understand living away from an ailing parent...dealing with sickness and loss and then the remarriage. Ugh!!! It's a lot to take in as we get a little older.

I love the image of the rocks and your mission to find balance. Life seems to be a huge balancing act. And I know more than anything you don't want those rocks to fall. Praying for you.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Wow, you have had your hands full, but I pray that your son will get along fine during these next 2 weeks and will be given a clean bill of health. I will be praying for your sweet Mom and hope that all goes well for her. Hang in there. Love & blessings from NC!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie~

I'm soooo sorry you had such a difficult summer! I had one of those last year. I will be praying for your mom! and for a FULL and SPEEDY recovery for your son! I will pray that you enjoy the best fall ever!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Wow, Leslie, what a summer you have experienced . . . I am happy to join you in praying for your mom's full and complete recovery from any cancer that they find. Your plate sounds full,so praying for you as well.

Fondly,
Glenda

Heaven's Walk said...

Dear sweet Leslie - My heart breaks for you with all you are dealing with. I will certainly add you to my prayer list, friend. You do have a lot of prayer warriors out here, you know. :) Stay strong. Keep the faith. And remember that God has you in the palm of his hand.

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Teresa said...

My prayers are with you and your family!

Blessings Always, Teresa T.

Sheila said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom and about Dayton's setback. I will keep your family in my prayers. I hope that you are able to find the balance you are looking for. Please try to take care of yourself during this stressful time.

3 Peanuts said...

I am praying for your family Leslie!!! t breaks my heart when I think of everything you all have been through. You are one of the sweetest people I have "met" in this adoption blog community. I will pray for peace and healing.

Bless you.

I am here if you need me.

Kim

Pamela said...

Prayers sent your way! My father in law goes for his cat scan on Friday. He has a mass the size of a golf ball around his adrenial glands. They found out last week when they were out visiting us. He was not feeling well and ended up being hospitalized. Now back at home and seeing his own doctors we pray he will be well. We feel your pain and worry!

Bridget said...

Found your blog through your sister's blog! Gorgeous decorating and inspirational ideas kept me reading tonight. Along with the grace of God because I see this post about a family moving to Iowa. Well, this is bizarre because I have met this said family and they have moved to my little, beautiful town in Iowa! What a small world! I hope they are enjoying it here and we're so happy to have them. They came out to our golf course to check things out and my friend and I had just finished our round of golf. God works in mysterious and wonderful ways!