Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sailing,sailing ..........

I have been wanting to make a driftwood sailboat for months now and the other day Myah and I were trying to think of something crafty to do together and this idea popped into my head. It was such a simple project and actually went together very easily and quickly.  It was the perfect little addition to our decor, I can see this as something I will be doing more of!! We had collected the driftwood from our vacation and the twig came from Myah's favorite park. 
The sails were made out of an old linen pillow case that had ripped and I had held onto for this very purpose.
The blue ticking  flag we made by just cutting a tiny triangle from this old laundry bag that I picked up at a sale for $1.   My hubby drilled a small hole in the bottom piece of wood so that the stick would sit in there firmly, I actually had a little wiggle room so I ended up heating up the hot glue gun and using that to attach the stick and the sails. 
I attached a little bit of some tiny rope that I had, I frayed it before I used it, to give it the not so perfect look that I was going for. 
The finished product!!! Myah was so proud and I love that it was something we made together. 

It looks so sweet up on our shelf in the kitchen with our family photos from Seaside.  Now I am going to have to hunt down some more driftwood, this was just too much fun!!!
I just love my 8 & 6 votive holders.  1986 was the year Mark and I started dating, he graduated and if you flip them around, he was born in '68.  And I love the #8 anyhow because that has always been Dayton's jersey number and it turned out to be Myah's this year too!  And the #6 is just as sweet, the day we received our little Myah in China was 6-6-06.  I know, I really go overboard with things having meaning in our home but I can't help it! 

12 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What an adorable sailboat!!! It looks so sweet on your shelf. And I know you enjoyed making it together. Love & blessings from NC!

Dropped Stitch Knitter said...

These are absolutely adorable!!!

Annie Louise said...

I love this sailboat--GREAT job!!
The shelf vinette looks wonderful and I love the idea of things having special meaning in one's home--thats what makes a house a home. Thanks for sharing.
Jeanette

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

What a sweet sail boat and I adore the sheet music.

NanaDiana said...

Beautiful little sailboat. Perfectly imperfect..unlike one you would buy with every thing perfectly straight and ship shape. Your own is.....just right!!!

I have those Number things too...My own are 4 and 8.. I won't even go into all the 4 & 8 scenarios..but I "get it".

Judy said...

I love those white chippy frames? Can you tell me where you got them? Please email me at jdy277@aol.com.

Thanks!
Judy

Rozmeen said...

WOW...I love these pictures so much..the setting and this beachy mood! Thanks for sharing..

Hugs and xxx,
Rozmeen

Katie said...

Just found your blog via My Sweet Savannah and I'm loving it! Happy to have found ya! :)

3 Peanuts said...

So cute:)

Nicole said...

Very shabby - love it!!! your photos are adorable. can you tell mle the color of your wall. I love how pale it is but still holds up to the white. thanks.

Simple Daisy said...

OOh love it!!!
Great job:):)
I will be doing a dritwood sailboat post tomorrow!!!
Yippee!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Love that sailboat! That is a really neat idea. Might have to help my girls make some:)
I'm with you on things having meaning - I love numbers but I always want them to mean something:)