Monday, February 1, 2010

Winter Cleaning and Redecorating

The Foyer: My $50 hall tree has found its way back into my foyer, I tried to hang some hooks and a chalkboard in this space but it really became a catch all and always looked messy. So back came the hall tree and I am happy again! I put my super cute Peter Beaton beach tote on the hook to remind me that warm weather will be her again! Also in the entry is this cool photo holder that I have adorned with lots of old family photos.
I found this quilt at my favorite antique mall the other day for $11! I love using these for outdoor photos with babies/children. I placed it on top of a quilt that was my great grandmothers and even though neither one of them is perfect I love them!

The Dining Room: I needed a place for all of my white serving dishes so I displayed them in my shabby cupboard.
My sister gave me one of her paintings that she painted and did not like, I love having a super-uper talented lil sis!
I love the new blue in this room, such a serene and calm space now! Years ago it was a russet red!
I love my antique dining set, it is just petite enough for this space. I have debated about giving it a white paint job, what do you think?
I was playing with my camera and tried a new angle! I have to chuckle inside when I look around this room and my most favorite pieces in there were free!!!! Here you can see that we have 10 foot ceilings throughout the house. Even though some of the rooms are smaller they appear larger because the ceilings are tall.


I always love to go through the house in January and get rid of everything that does not have a function in our home anymore. It takes me just about all of the month to go through every closet, drawer and room. I am still dealing with the donation piles I have laying around but everything is at least organized right now and I can start fresh. Next comes the painting and then after that spring will be here and it will be time for the house to get a really good cleaning. I usually use the winter months to do these kinds of chores, we go into a hibernation mode around here in the cold temperatures so I figure if I have to stay indoors I might as well put myself to good use! I use this opportunity to re organize cupboards and drawers, and usually the furniture gets moved around a bit as well. My friends always tease me that my house is never the same place twice! Iam always trying to utilize the space I have to the best of its ability. I have limited amounts of storage so it does me no good to keep something that I don't even use when it is taking up prime real estate in my house. We have been painting lately, I had a few tables that I wanted white so I just whipped out the 'ol paintbrush and went to town and I love how they look now! We also are painting our outdated oak bathroom cabinets as well, they are getting a new white paint job as well. I love the white/cottagey feel to things and I figure I have lived with those cupboards for almost 10 years now, it is time for me to like them! I am hoping to tackle the staircase spindles this week! I will give you the grand tour. Here are some pictures from the main level of our home, I will show you the changes taking place on the other floors/rooms later. I love my new office makeover! I have been busy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

everything looks fabulous! Love the entry! Love the dining! I LOVE to purge! Love! I think I do it more than once a year. Great job!

3 Peanuts said...

You sound busy busy painting and fluffing the nest!

ww said...

Everything looks beautiful, unique, and clean. I like the table the way it is - nice contrast.

Home as Hobby said...

She didn't like that fabulous drool-worthy painting? Oh, bless her heart, she doesn't know the talent she has! I will gladly take her cast offs. Everything looks great and so springy!

Virginia said...

Wow, everything looks wonderful! Very fresh and spring-y. I have to purge around this time of year, and in the fall. In case you didn't know, you have talent!

Shannon said...

I love seeing pictures of your house. Everything is so pretty. I love how you arrange everything. I wouldn't paint the table because I love dark antique wood with white wood mixed together. Maybe you could find some white chairs to put with it for now?

Abbie Bast said...

Les,

Today I was feeling overwhelmed at the fact that we've been so busy I feel like I've neglected my house a little....I need to organize so bad and this just gave me the inspiration...thank you!! :) Everything looks wonderful! I really do want to plan a "garage saleing" day sometime this summer!!