Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dining Room Makeover



My vintage tulip print from a garage sale
This rooster weather vane was my gift for playing nurse for 2 months to my family! Roosters have a special place in my heart now that Myah was born in the year of the rooster.
My angel vine loves its new home atop the buffett
I just love this old dresser, I scrubbed it up pretty good and filled it with my candle stash


This picture isn't really good of my pretty curtains but I love them still!
My sister has found yet another thing that she is great at! This is a picture of a barn on Lake Michigan with hollyhocks of course!
Remember my garage sale plates, they bring a punch of color to the buffett
My Grandmothers cruet set, I need to polish it but I kind of like it like this too!


Ever since we moved into our home almost 8 years ago we have been searching for dining room furniture. We have a breakfast nook that we eat in all of the time and I really wanted to make our dining room more inviting. I love having nice dinners in the dining room but there was never anything really special about it. Some of my fondest memories are from when we were gathered around a dining room table with good friends and family, whether we were sharing a beautiful Christmas spread, playing a game of euchre with grandparents, falling off the chair in laughter, catching up with the day to day,or pulling a high chair up to the table for the first time. If our table could talk, oh the stories it would tell!


Last fall we became serious about looking for a table, we looked everywhere, I didn't want to settle for something that wasn't "us". We had done that in the past with other items and we never were satisified. Our room is not very large and all of the newer furniture pieces were enormous, I began to get frustrated. One day I came across this antique set at my favorite antique mall, a booth had been rented just for this piece and it caught my eye immediately, a bonus was the beautiful buffett that accompanied the table. I came home and told Mark all about it, the price was incredible $600 for all it was a Duncan Phyfe style, six chairs, two leafs and a custom table pad, in mint condition. Plus a buffet! I knew it was perfect. I love everything old, but I didn't want something old that was rickety, this was very sturdy. Mark went the next day to "look" at it and then called me and told me to be ready to unload it when he got home! What a guy! It fits perfectly in the room because it is a bit "petite" as compared to the more modern larger styles.


I love the Nester and her window mistreatments were my inspiration for the new look in our room. I came across this fabric at Calico Corners a few weeks ago and fell in love with the fresh look. I have a special place in my heart for tulips so that became my inspiration piece. My sister Melanie has begun painting beautiful pieces of art so I begged her to make me a large picture for my new room. I still need to frame it but it is gorgeous. The large window is something that I got out of the garbage from a favorite store that was going out of business (she let me drag it out of her pile). I have wanted to place it above the buffett but wasn't sure how it would tie in. I LOVE it in here! My $10 old dresser just had to be included in this room after it sat in my hallway for a few days and I realized it was a perfect color match. Notice my garage sale plates and bowl! My makeover cost me next to nothing. I also took a pretty watermelon check and redid the chairs with my staple gun. The best part is that my curtains were hot glued together! Yes I said hot glued! The Nester convinced me that just because I cannot sew does not mean I cannot have gorgeous window treatments! This room is now my favorite, it is fresh, clean but vintage and classy all at the same time. Now who wants to come for dinner?

14 comments:

The Nester said...

I lOVE your style! so fresh! love the punch of blue and shall i say window mistreatments?

I want an angel vine--are they hard to grow?

Dawn said...

I want to come for dinner!!! I love the makeover!! I have been wanting to do curtains for my dining room too. I have a very similar cruet set that was a gift from my in-laws, it was my husbands great Grandmothers...I love it, and I really love it a "little tarnished" too!!

Shannon said...

I want to come!! :) That room is so FUN and soooooooo BEAUTIFUL!! Your window treatment...you can't even call them mistreatments...look so great!!!

Melanie said...

You already know I love anything floral, and pink, and green and robin egg blue...Let's just say, I LOVE your dining room!!!! I can't wait to see it in person! :) You have fabulous taste, Sessie!

Joy said...

Your dining room makeover looks great! I love the old paned window and the blue dresser, it's the touch of unexpected that makes it special. Great job.

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

You did an amazing job, Leslie! Here's to many memorable warm and inviting dinners with family and friends.

Beautiful~
Lisa

Football and Fried Rice said...

What a deal on your dining room furniture - it is beautiful! I love the vintage dresser too; very chic!

Anonymous said...

So elegant... you have got a beautiful dining room makeover..... given some nice ideas for mine. I have started shopping at SmartBargains for it.

Anonymous said...

I love it all!

Jennifer

3 Peanuts said...

leslie,

I have not been here in a while. LOVE the dining room. It looks so warm and inviting...are those the no sew curtains?

GREAT job!

Kim

Heather said...

Leslie, please come play at my house - you could make it so pretty! I love all of it - just adore the curtains and I am partial to roosters myself.

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Heather

The 5 Bickies said...

I just found you (via Lori A.'s blog) and love everything I see. I love your garage sale finds. Going to garage sales and decorating my house and clothing my children with fabulous treasures is one of my favorite things. You did a great job with your dining room. You have a real eye! Looks like it put it right to use with the birthday party. We have my son's and husband's birthdays this week two days apart. It's crazy, isn't it?

Lori said...

Your Dining room looks GREAT!! I think that's the same green & white checked fabric I have! Your drapes are beautiful! I love your angel vine in that urn~ gorgeous! Oh and I want that tulip print when you're tired of it! lol It's beautiful! :D

Kate said...

Okay....can you tell me waht color you have on the walls? I am looking for a soft yellow...but am so afraid that I will pick one that is too bright! Your walls look very soft and muted...much what I am looking for.

Thanks ahead of time for any guidance!!

Kate