Saturday, July 31, 2010

My Grand 40th!!!!

Mark and I before our dinner at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island celebrating my 40th birthday!  The hotel photographer snapped these of us before our fancy dinner.  Men must wear suits on the grounds after 6 pm and ladies must wear dresses.  It was so nice to see everyone all gussied up!
It is such a magical place, such a step back in time, no cars, only bicycles and horse drawn carriages are allowed on the island.  The Grand Hotel is very old, so much so that  the movie Somewhere in Time was filmed here.  I was treated like a queen,  my mom and sister (and her family) surprised me with a night at the Grand, and a whole new wardrobe from J.Crew to wear along with  this cute little black ruffled  cocktail dress. It was  my dream come true, a night away with my prince charming at this gorgeous, super romantic getaway, I have been wanting to do this for years.  As a little girl my grandmother took my whole family for several days and I remember it fondly. My most vivid memory was the gorgeous dining room with the Jamaican waiters dressed in their jackets with tails.  I was so glad that some things were just as I remembered.
This is the Grand Hotel in all its glory. It boasts the  longest porch in the world, lined with white rocking chairs,  we spent some good quality time rocking away while overlooking the Straits of Mackinac. We had a huge surprise when we arrived and realized that they had upgraded us to a named suite.  The Tiffany Suite!  I literally made Mark go back downstairs and make sure we were supposed to have this $650 a night room!!!  Sure enough it was!!! We were so blessed!!

The room was so gorgeous, everything at the Grand is decorated by Carleton Varney.  Our room had a signature canopy from Tiffany's in New York.  It was called the Honeymoon Canopy.  Ohh. la la!!
We even took a dip in the pool originally built for an  Ester Williams movie. This is when we wished the kids had been there with us....well we thought that for a minute or so and then got over it!! Just kidding! 
We then came back to our room and got ready for our most delicious dinner, the dining at the Grand is an experience in itself, this was our quaint little table by the window.  Mark presented me with a charm for my Trollbead bracelet as dinner was served, I loved it!!
The parlor of the Grand is magnificent!  Here I am cheesing it up!!! This is what 40 looks like on me!!!

Outside of our room, we  were right on the porch level, at night they had removed all of the rocking chairs from outside of our windows for privacy!

We sat in the parlor after dinner and listened to the harpist. After this we went for a walk and came back inside for a champagne toast and a slow dance. 
We woke up to this view outside our window.
This was the first thing I saw when I woke up, this gorgeous canopy over our bed!
A  beautiful horse and carriage is the taxi to the docks
Mark and I rented a tandem bicycle and rode 8 miles around the island, it was beautiful and so much fun at the same time!
The scene on the main street
In following with the Tiffany's theme, Mark purchased a beautiful silver bead bracelet for me!
Here I am on my actual birthday, see my pretty bracelet on my left hand! I love it!!! He also surprised me with a huge Vera bag!!!
Me and my sweetie pies on my 40th! 
Thanks so much for the sweet birthday wishes, 40 feels great!
(my other computer is still sick, hopefully next week it will be better!  I will post more details from Mackinac after I can upload from the other computer)

21 comments:

paige said...

i'm so thrilled you had a fantastic GRAND celebration!!
you look gorgeous in these photos & your sweet man, so handsome.
i love all the special details you included!
that is somewhere i've always wanted to visit, maybe one day~

Brooke said...

You looked beautiful! What a great birthday...love the bracelet! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! What a thoughtful and beautiful gift ~ I'm sure you'll remember it forever.

Isn't it nice to go somewhere all dressed up - it seems like people hardly do that anymore. You looked gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing ... it will go on my list.
Since I started blogging, I've been keeping a list from all my favorite blogs of lovely places that I'd someday love to visit.

Enjoy your weekend!
Sarah

Farmgirl Paints said...

I loved that movie...so Mackinaw has always been on my wish list. I can't believe they make you dress up at night. That's amazing.

You looked fabulous. Completely rocked your black dress. What a fun place to explore...that porch...the bike ride! Wonderful memories for a very special birthday.

NanaDiana said...

Well, first off...40 looks beautiful on you!! And you have a lovely family AND a handsome husband! How wonderful that your family surprised you with this special get-away.

Oh how I love Mackinac Island (and for all you non-Midwesern peeps-it is pronounced Mack In Naw). There is not a place on earth that I am aware of that can compare to The Grand Hotel. I was only there one time but it was/is beautiful. You did a great job of capturing the essence of the island.

ps...did you get any Mackinac Island fudge? Please tell me you tried it....soooooo good!

Blessings on your day~ Diana

Dear Lillie said...

Okay - WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! I am so jealous! What a beautiful trip! And you are so beautiful and so is your family!

Heaven's Walk said...

Congratulations, Leslie! You look absolutely fantastic! Love your haircut, girl! :)

What a wonderful way to celebrate! And what a great hubby you have to spoil you that way! My hubby and I love Mackinac Island. We've never been lucky enough to stay at the hotel, but thanks to your beautiful photos, we could take a little peek. All I can say is incredible.....wow.

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

Happy birthday,it looks like a perfect place to celebrate!!

Shannon said...

That looks like such a wonderful place! I've heard it is so special. What a wonderful family you have! Love your bracelet. :)

Vava (aka Virginia) said...

40 never looked better! What a magical treat for you and our Prince!!!! That movie is soooo wonderful and I've always wanted to visit. Thanks for the details. (the jewels, the dress, et al are FAB!)

Liz Bradley said...

Following you because your sister sent me over!
Liz
http://mylovelylittlelulu.blogspot.com/

Kristi said...

We were just talking about a trip to Mackinac Island! It looks like your trip was wonderful.

Happy Birthday!

Stacey said...

Happy Birthday! That looks like one amazing trip.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are beautiful - what a magnificent birthday you had! So happy for you - you deserve it. Enjoy the last part of summer and hope to see you around town soon!
Love, Tiffany

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I am new to your blog via your sweet sister's blog. Oh, what a fantastic trip you had to celebrate your 40th. What a grand place. My grandparents used to visit this island and I remember her telling me about all the bicycles! I would love to visit there one day. So gorgeous! You have a lovely family. Your children are precious! I am so excited to be a new follower and get to know you better. Love & blessings from NC!

Lolo @ The Adventures of Stig and Lolo said...

What an amazing 40th celebration! The Grand Hotel...(swoon!) so romantic! I have always wanted to go there. Somewhere in Time is one of my all time favorite movies. What an unforgettable experience. Thanks for sharing and Happy 4-0!
:)

cindy said...

Congrats! I *love* the Grand Hotel...we've been fortunate to stay there 3 different times, the last being in June. You're pictures are beautiful....and wasn't the harpist wonderful?

My boys played with the giant chess set every morning after breakfast, then on to the pool. Loved seeing your pictures...love Mackinac!

3 Peanuts said...

Oh Leslie! Happy Happy Happy Day! I LOVE the photo of you and Mark all gussied up. You look GORGEOUS and Mark is quite handsome! Every single detail about your celebrations sounds perfect. I felt like I was right alongside you savoring every detail.

I do want to hear what y'all ate as I am quite the foodie...was it beyond delicious????

I hope that I am not only one of the adoption blog friends but also one of the decorating blog friends who ooohs and ahhhs over all of your talent:)


Happy Birthday to a beautiful person:)

Kim

Terrell said...

Seriously what a FABULOUS bday!! you're gorgeous and happy belated bday to you! Thank you so much for sharing such a lovely and charming post! It looks amazing!

Sharon said...

What a beautiful birthday! What a lovely family you have and the sweetest husband. (I think mine would not have been able to handle all that pink and would not have had a clue as to designer gifts!)

Thank you for your sweet comment, I came over and thought I used to love coming over here what happened and how did I loose you?? Glad to have your link back again!!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Happy belated birthday! Your trip looked like so much fun. Do you think it was family friendly?
Your kids are adorable and you are beautiful! 40 looks great on you.
Londen