Sunday, October 26, 2008

Decorating With Hydrangeas









I am in love with hydrangeas, when we first moved in I planted a Pee Gee species off of my front porch. Last year I planted another one to flank the other side of my porch, I think it will look really nice when it finally catches up to the other one. This one bush has given me several bouquets through the years, I like to cut them around the beginning of September when they are still a pretty lime green, sometimes I can get them at just the right time and a bit of a plum color will line the edges of the delicate petals. My neighbor Pam has given me some of her gorgeous Annabelle's and I love to make a huge bouquet with them. Hydrangeas are very easy to dry, sometimes I will hang bunches upside down but this year I just picked them put them in a vase and let them dry naturally. I thought I would share some pictures from this years "crop", I usually have plenty and give them away to visitors because although I love them, I don't want them everywhere, my son has severe allergies and I try to limit alot of dried flowers sitting around to collect dust. I cleared my buffet in the dining room the other day of all fall items and went for a more clean look, this huge bouquet of hydrangeas looks so pretty in there next to my white dishes. I like being all set up for dinner parties this time of year. I was looking at the P*ttery Barn catalog the other day and got inspired to do this. I also hung a shelf that I have had for years on an awkward wall in my kitchen. It was too long so my hubby cut a few inches off of the ends for me and now it fits perfectly, I love giving new life to an old favorite. It is the perfect place for my vase of this years hydrangeas. I usually pick my flowers when the heads are starting to get a little cripsy, they only take a few days to dry.

18 comments:

Emily said...

Very lovely!

I have a bathroom shelf that is in need of decor. A friend suggested dried hydranges.... but I have never dried them before... how long do they normally take to dry out?

Chris said...

Oh, I just love hydrangeas! Every picture was just adorable. Nicely done!

Betsy said...

Love your muted color scheme. VERY CLEAN!

Victoria said...

Everything in the pictures is just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love your hydranges...I do the same with mine. I hope to plant a blue hydrange this year for more color.

Shannon said...

I love those!! They are my favorite flower and you have used them so beautifully! I love your arrangement on the shelf and buffet too!

cherry said...

Nice. cherry

Christy said...

What beautiful pictures!!!


You did such a a nice job of arranging your items on the shelf. Love your little sign "Home is the Perfect Nest" and the pictures of your daughter.

I've recently started reading your blog (found it from Shannon-Bless Our Nest). Last week i did my copy cat version of the Nesters ragamuffin garland too. I really like yours though!

I'm also adding you to my blog list:)

Annette said...

I love hydrangeas too! Love how you've decorated with them. I can't seem to grow them though, they never do well for me.

Ruth Ann said...

I love your home plaque with the little bird on top, it looks awesome! Great job decorating!

Anonymous said...

Those hydrangeas are beautiful! I love the green tint they have.

Also, your shelf is adorable. Isn't it great to have a small nagging thing taken care of and marked off the mental to-do list?

Glitter & Bliss said...

I love hydrangeas too!! I went to a garge sale last weekend and bought an umbrella holder with a blue hydrangea on it for .50. Boy did I ever hit the jackpot. I love your "home" sign.

Carry Grace said...

I love hydrangeas, yours are beautiful.

WheresMyAngels said...

Those are beautiful! Love the way you have them all over.

Katie said...

This is all so pretty!

Trish said...

Mornin'! Found you through SITS. I love what you did with the hydrangeas! They are my all-time favorite flower. Beautiful! And, I too, am a WS addict. I love the turkey tablecloth. I'm always the Thanksgiving house in my family, perhaps I should invest in new cloths this year! Great blog!

Cassie said...

Oh yes, hydrangeas are one of the BEST flowers. I worked for several different florists when I was in high school/college. We did wedding arrangements one time with the hydrangeas filling the baskets, and roses popping out of them.

Tiffany said...

So pretty! We had hydrangeas at our other house. I may need to plant some here.