Monday, February 7, 2011

It's Good to Be Back Home Again


After a few whirlwind months we have finally arrived back home again.  And it feels wonderful!  We have been unpacking, unpacking and more unpacking but hopefully soon there will be an end in sight.  In true Leslie form, I had the house accessorized after the first day, Mark left with the kiddos for a little while and I went to work, I have to have a place for everything in order to maintain my sanity.  Tomorrow demo starts and I expect life to be chaotic for a while.  I am excited about the end results though. 

I really wanted to feed the birds once we got back up here so my mom bought us a birdfeeder as a housewarming, it took a few days but finally we saw some birdies!  Mark hung it in the lilac bushes for me!  I cannot wait to see these lilacs bloom!
 Same stuff different house.
The first few days we were here we got some major snow!  Look, it is up to the window sill!!!

After several trips back and forth sitting like this..... (see our new Ipad, love it!!)........

And feeling exhausted like this....
 

We Are Home!!!!



The kitchen will be the first of our renovations to tackle.  Have you seen the new Martha line at Home Depot???  Love it!!!

I would love any suggestions as far as cabinets, appliances, sinks, faucets etc..... I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now!  One of my  questions is should I do black knobs or brushed nickel/silver??  It kind of sets the tone for the house I think.  Crazy I know!  I would like a cottagey/craftsman ish feel to the house. What do you think???   And don't think that everything is coming up roses around here, last week we had 2 snow days during the blizzard,  Dayton jumped in a snow bank and separted his a c joint in his shoulder and they think he tore his rotator cuff (cupp, whatever it is!) ,so back to the ER we went, he is in a sling for now, we will see what the orthopedic dr. says tomorrow.  Please pray for a quick recovery, (once again!)!! Thanks!!!

8 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

What an exciting time this must be for you...and exhausting as well. But you are home and that's what counts! And you look very settled in!

So sorry about Dayton. I know this is a serious injury. My sister had surgery on her torn rotater cuff, but the down time wasn't that long. Wishing him well!

I have white bead board cabinets and I went with brushed nickel hardware. I wanted it to sort of all blend in. Best of luck in all of your designing, Leslie!

XO,
Janie

Meg said...

I have no idea about knobs. Personally, I would go with the brushed look because I'm afraid of black. My only advice is this: talk to your sister. Her home is TO DIE FOR.

And advice #2...when you pick out the cabinets, look at the detail work and think: would that be easy to wipe clean? Mine can get so cruddy.

Between You and Me said...

so excited that you are HOME now....can't wait to see the renovations.....

love both of those kitchens that you showed us.....

NanaDiana said...

Welcome to your new home. I can't wait to see what you decide to do with the kitchen. And, I am saying a prayer that the cuff isn't torn and that he doesn't need surgery. Hugs- Diana

Elisabeth said...

We just painted our cabinets white dove by Benjamin Moore and used oil rubbed bronze for pulls and handles. We also have white beadboard cabinet doors with the same orb handles, plus orb light fixture, faucet, etc. I love it! I like how it's like an updated vintage look. I also have light fixtures throughout the house that are orb or black. I really like the way it looks, especially if you like to use browns/tans rather than greys which is what we did. Our bathroom tile is light tan and the countertop is a sandy color too. There is an awesome orb mini schoolhouse light fixture at Lowe's that we used, I love it so much we used two of them in the entry way and hallway. The metal on it is orb so it looks great with all the other fixtures and hardware.
Good luck with renovations.

Andrea said...

What color or type are your counter tops going to be? If your cabinets are white and you go with dark stone I would use the oiled bronze but if you have white cabinets and say carrera marble counters I would go with the brushed nickle. Can't wait to see pictures.

Heaven's Walk said...

How exciting for you, Leslie! I agree with Meg about cabinets. The simpler the better as far as keeping clean. And I really love black knobs and pulls right now. Very chic! And they would pull in the black from your living room. Praying for Dayton, friend.... :)

xoxo laurie

Katie said...

I am so excited for you that you are in your new home~and it is already looking so cozy from the looks of the couch! I have that same problem with deciding with black vs. brushed nickel. We did the brushed nickel in our current home. Of course me being the planner I am, am already trying to decide which we will have in our forever home! lol Keep us updated on your progress!!