Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I am in LOVE with brown transferware!

Here are my favorite pieces:
This sweet little mug was a purchased for $2 at little antique shop in Cooperstown NY while we were there for Dayton's baseball tournament. It holds my Grandma's old wooden pieces.
I love this tray and it was a steal for $6! I have used it all over my house, I wish I had 3 more!
The top plate was a recent purchase for $2 at my local antique outlet mall. It has a big chip on the back but you can't even see it! The plate on the bottom was one my sister gave me, it has a $28 tag on the back! She buys the "good" stuff!

I love this little biscuit jar, it was a treasure found for $8, recently I noticed that the lid probably wasn't the original but that doesn't matter to me, nothing has to be perfect for me! The bone dish I just found last week and want to hang it above the other two plates but I need to find a really small plate holder, it was $5.
These are on my dining room buffet, these both were given to me by my sister, I love them! I found the antique silver candle sticks for $10/pair. My hydrangeas were transferred to this Longa*berger basket that I have since Dayton was newborn, so about 14 years! I love old baskets and am on the search for more.
This was the Grand-daddy bargain! This bowl is pretty large and heavy, I had spotted it several months ago and just couldn't figure out where to put it in my home so I didn't buy it, dumb dumb dumb... luckily I went back a few weeks ago and it was still there, and still only $5! It has a huge crack in the middle but I still love it, I saw one similar without the crack selling for $80! It is so pretty, it has iris's on the inside and a pretty scene on the outside featuring a little birdie. I ran out of the store with that one before anyone could tell me it was mis marked! Now it sits proudly in the middle of my dining room table holding these dried gourds surrounded by a garland I found at a second hand store for $4.00. It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful now does it?


I am having a slight obsession with brown transferware. I have always collected old dishes and such but now I have finally realized that this particular style is my favorite. So it has been the design inspiration for my makeover of the kitchen, I will show you more of the huge transformation later but for now here is a peak at my beloved dishes. I have been very lucky in my search for these hard to find pieces, they are really selling for lots of moola lately but I am patient and can spot a thrifty piece from miles away. Also my sister was so kind to GIVE me 3 plates that I love! I also am not opposed to buying a piece with a special crack or a chip, I am all about character and I would never use them to serve food or anything, my friends would think I have completely lost my manners, but it does help drive the price down to my level.... cheap!

10 comments:

CMB said...

What a great collection, I love it all! I use to have dried hydrangeas in that very same basket! I can still picture exactly where I had it when I first got it all those years ago...my girls were little and my son wasn't even born yet...I guess that basket really will be an heirloom! :)

Shannon said...

I love all of your peices! Brown transferwear is my favorite too although I do not have any pieces. That biscuit jar is adorable! I see those bone dishes but I have never bought one because I didn't know if I could figure out how to hang it! :) Let me know if you come up with something.

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

I am so glad that you are back. I love to visit your blog.

That transfer wear is so pretty!

B said...

I am drooling and completely jealous right now. Apparently I need someone like you to show me the ropes on finding beautiful things for cheap!

Kari said...

I love transferware too, especially when you can find it for a bargain, even with imperfections. I actually prefer it that way because it has so much more character than buying action-quality pieces. Great scores!

3 Peanuts said...

It is all so pretty.

Kim

Dawn said...

You have a beautiful home! I absolutely love the brown transferwear! Your dried hydrangeas are gorgeous too!

Vicki said...

Hey! I was just going through my Favorites and thought I'd give this blog a try since your other one has been back up and running. :-) You have been really busy around your house! Every room you redo always looks so nice and warm. What great therapy!!!

I have to comment on your crescent shaped dish... I have 7 of those in my cupboard!!! They belonged to my Dad's mother. I have 2 black, 3 amethyst, 1 brown and 1 bright blue. Does yours say Made in England too?

Sue said...

I am cleaning out my mothers house
and have a place setting of eight and many other pieces. If you are near to Ohio just email me @ fszehe@yahoo.com,reference transferware, I can tell you enjoy the brown print.

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Love your beautiful collection. I to, am in love brown transferware and most other colors. I sell it too! I just started a blog a few weeks ago and my main topic is transferware: http://www.nancysdailydish.blogspot.com/ I've run across your blog several times and enjoy it always.

Nancy