Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Second Hand Rose

If you have been following me for any amount of time you know how much I love to thrift shop. I have had some withdrawls lately with no garage sales during the winter months, so I have been hitting up a few second hand stores to acquire a few new to me treasures for our new home.  Although this first item was not second hand it was in the last chance section of Ikea, I am not sure if it was returned or what but it had a few scratches on top causing it to be priced at $50, you should have seen me loading this into my car with a slipcovered chair and a buffet that were all priced too good to pass up.  The other day I found these baskets that fit under the table just perfectly, I don't know why I was surprised, it's Ikea, they do those things on purpose ya know!  I just love the weathered gray finish!
Onto the second hand portion of my post.  This beautiful pillow my sister gave to me the other day, I took it and ran basically when she offered it to me!  Love it on my Ikea couch!  Seeing a pattern here???
 I think I gasped out loud the other day when I spotted this chicken dinner sign with a barnwood frame at my local consignment shop, goes so well with my love of black and white lettering!  This will go somewhere in the new kitchen fo sho. 


 I knew it was a sign when at my favorite antique mall I spotted these super cool old stamps, there were just a few left and they happened to have the numbers in our new address and our initial, cooincidence?? I think not!!!  I am not sure what I am going to create with them yet, they are about 3 inches tall, so awesome!! 

I had seen a photo of a kitchen that I loved in the Cottage Living Fresh Ideas magazine last year, these stools were my favorite (photo above), I wanted them so badly!  I found this super old stool at a garage sale this summer and paid $15 for it, it has been around forever, the people I bought it from said it was in their old house that they bought from some very old people,  how is that for specific???  Anywhooo... I begged my neighbor to make me a slipcover for it, she told me it would take her a while, she is a busy grandmother, I gave her a copy of this photo and the material that I wanted her to use back in May, yesterday during a snow storm she brought it over to me,  I am so excited!!! I had kind of forgotten about it,  Doesn't she look purty in her new dress??!!!



 before:                                                        after:


I love shopping second hand, everything is a special treasure to me and I spent a fraction of what I could if I purchaed retail.   I love the character of things that have been loved on through the years. 
Thank you all so much for your sweet and supportive comments regarding our move,  we are so happy!  I need your help though, I would appreciate any good advice you can give me on picking out a kitchen, adding on, creating built in bookcases etc,  if you have any great sites or places that I can visit I would sure appreciate your help. I am going to try and document every step on here of our renovation, this is going to be fun!! We love doing this sort of thing!!!  You know my style, please help a girl out!!!! Thanks!!!
P.S.  Thanks to my sister for hijacking my blog last night and making a new header for me, I have no patience for that right now and bless her heart I just sent her the images I wanted to use and she did her magic!!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog, and I LOVE it! So nice to meet you :))

Polly said...

lovely blog, just found it through your sister, can't wait to read more!

Between You and Me said...

came over from your sister's blog....and I LOVE it here.
how peaceful and warm and inviting....

I was already a follower, so that means I've been here before, but there are so many blogs out there, that I must have "misplaced" in my overworked brain that you were here.....

you're going on my sidebar tonight...wanna be able to come and visit often....

mimi said...

your new header is fantastic.... may have to have your sister hijack mine too! I love both of your blogs... good luck with the move... I think it is wonderful you will be close to your sister again!

Blondie's Journal said...

I am here from Melanie's blog and I am so glad I came. I feel like I know you already!! I love the new stool cover...what a nice lady friend! It turned out beautiful. And I like that coffee table...I have baskets under mine and there isn't even a shelf {gotta do what ya gotta do!}

I am going to IKEA this weekend to check out their couches. Do you find yours comfortable? I have heard all sorts of things so I thought I'd ask. I am really hoping it's the couch I want. Did you get a matching chair when you found the coffee table? {I sound like a real pain!}

Anyway, so nice to meet you, Leslie, I look forward to hearing about your move!

XO,
Janie

NanaDiana said...

Leslie- What a great blog tonight! Love everything...but especially WANT that chicken sign! Love the slipcovered stools too...great idea. I love coming here-but you know that- xxoo Diana

Anonymous said...

the stool is my favorite! that turned out great. You have such a gift with finding treasures! The coffee table looks amazing. It will be so fun watching turn your next house into a home!

Anonymous said...

Love your finds! Your special touch makes them look so much better than most people would be able to!

Shannon said...

Hi Leslie, Your new header looks great! You always find such great treasures when you are out and about. Love that new sign for your kitchen. Can't wait to see and hear all about your new home!

Deb said...

Great finds Leslie! I just love your slipcovered stool...I've been saving that same inspiration picture too! Wishing you the best for your big move and looking forward to following along! ~Deb~

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your new header is Fab! How nice to have such a talented sister! I love your new finds. The chicken dinner sign is really cool. I've had this barn wood frame in my garage forever and didn't know what to do with it. Now I'm going to look for a graphic print to put in it. Thanks for the inspiration!

stephaniegiese said...

Love your finds, especially the stamps! In regards to built-ins, I would suggest Ana-white.com or the blogs Sawdust & Paper Scraps or Pretty Handy Girl. I think Craigslist is the secret for affordable kitchen remodels, or a Habitat for Humanity Re-store if you have one. We bought our whole kitchen second hand from people who were remodeling, saved over $20,000, and gt nicer finishes than we would have if we bought new. Congratulations on the move! You will love being closer to family!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I just stumbled upon your blog this morning. And what a pretty blog it is! Good luck on all the decorating in your home. I'd try Houzz for decorating themes if you haven't already.
Brenda

caycee said...

Girl love what you did with the stools, you always make everything so lovely!

paige said...

you know i love your home my friend!!
& that stool is so great!!!
bravo

i have the same kitchen from cottage living in my inspiration folder too.
love each detail!

Lori said...

So excited about your move Leslie and I can't wait to see all that you do to your very special new home!!
Love your new finds, love Ikea of course! :)
Yes, it's freezing here too...although today the sun is out and it's warmed up to about 37' right now!
Thanks for the comment, have a great weekend!!
XOXO

Meg said...

is that the Ektorp couch in white? Love, have IT and two matching chairs!

Heaven's Walk said...

Leslie - you and I would have a BALL junking together! Our hearts are in the exact same place, girl! :) My heart skipped a beat as a read about your latest junking trip and the treasures you found! Fabulous! And your new stool skirt is wonderful!

xoxo laurie

mamakt said...

leslie: LOVE your house (what i've seen of it) LOVE your fireplace. i don't want to be rude cuz i can see from quick perusal that you're going thru a lot right now. but we're going to be tearing down a HUGE monstrosity of a jagged big-rock fireplace and LOVE the look of your's. R there more pics of it head on that i could show hub? we, too have tall windows either side. very excited! thanks in advance & i pray Jesus will be with you, my sister, in this time. from my heart, katie

Biz said...

Between you and me mentioned you today so I thought I'd swing by! I love you style!
Beautiful!
Biz
http://busybizblogs.blogspot.com/