Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fireplace Face Lift

Fireplace before:

And after: total cost of makeover: $187.00










I have been in a cleaning frenzy lately. I am going to have a garage sale with my sister and that is my inspiration to get rid of all things extra! Today I tackled the office and filled a garbage bag with papers (to recycle) and another one of things to shred. How do we accumulate so many pieces of paper? Well, in my process of going through all little receipts etc. I found the receipt for our fireplace tile that we re-did last year. When we moved in it was oak, I liked oak back then, not so much now. I wanted to give it a makeover the only way I know how, as cheap as possible. I first painted the oak a pretty creamy white and then removed the awful mauve tiles that the builder has put in. I think he got for a steal because he used it in the upstairs bathroom too. I found this pretty travertine natural stone tile at a local tile store. It came in sections and we were able to cut and piece it together, I say "we" loosely, Mark did that part. I love how it looks now, much more updated and appealing to look at. It really has become one of my favorite features now. I found a picture of how it looked when we moved in 8 years ago, I hope you can see the difference! I got alot of bang for my $187 bucks!

25 comments:

Shannon said...

That looks so great!! What a great transformation!

Somewhere In The Sun said...

That's amazing! It looks fabulous....now can you come do mine?

~Lynn

Missy Wertz said...

WOW, so open and airy looking. It looks great!!!

Deb said...

Wow!!! The transformation is amazing. It looks so clean and fresh in there. Nice job.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Great job on redecorating. i love the "new" beautiful room.

Deserae said...

Oh my! What a fabulous transformation!!!! The room looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!
~Des

Angela said...

I am sooo loving this! You did a great job with this project.

Screaming Meme said...

I love the transformation! You should put that on rate my space on hgtv.com...Show that room off!I'm Meme from Screaming Meme's...I want to invite you over to my blog...I'm having a faux painting class...It's turning out to be fun! Bring a paint brush and a piece of furniture or decor and don't be late to class! :)

fleur de lis cottage said...

That is fabulous! What a transformation.

Meghan said...

What an absolutely fabu makeover!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful as always!

Jennifer, mommy to Adrienne

Lori said...

Great job Leslie, it looks great!!

Kimba said...

That is a great transformation! It looks fantastic!

I'd like to link to this post on Saturday if that's OK with you.

southerninspiration said...

Oh, MY, that is an absolutely Wonderful transformation! I know you must enjoy being in that room so much right now!

Amber said...

The green color in here is beautiful!! Would you mind sharing the name of the color? Thanks

JoAnne said...

I found your blog from Kimba at A Soft Place to Land. I LOVE your fireplace. This is exactly what I want to do to our oak and tacky tile fireplace. Now I know it can be done (I just have to convince my husband LOL). I'm going to look around a little more and I'll definately be back. Smiles, JoAnne

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Came over from Kimba's too! What a great redo of your fireplace & truly the whole room. Love the drapery panels too. Great job!

Rhoda

The Beauty Bargainista said...

this is amazing! Great job!! Doesnt even look like the same room! :)

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

That room looks amazing!! What a bargain. I really like the decorations on the mantel. Very cute!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Great work on your makeover! Such an improvement, I love it!

Melissa

Victoria said...

Came over from Kimba's and just had to comment on your makeover! The LR looks wonderful! Love your curtains too.

Virginia said...

Oh wow, what a beautiful transformation! You have great taste =)

Neutral Dwelling said...

Love how your room turned out!

Trixi said...

I love what you did in this room. Our living area is similar in size and has the fireplace and all. You did a great job!!

Enriched-Mom said...

I also came over from A soft place to land. Your room redo is great! The green color on your walls is perfect.