Friday, January 13, 2012

The House Is Coming Along Nicely

I know, I know, it is about time right....???? It has been almost a year since we moved in and we still have a long ways to go but it is good to see progress along the way.  The main part of the house has been almost completely remodeled except for the family room, we just painted in there, we will eventually add wood floors in there too after the rest of the remodeling is done.  The only room I did not get photos of today was our bathroom remodel, I will have to save that for another day.  We have worked painstakingly on this house.  If you remember, we moved into the house where Mark grew up and added on a wing to the house for his mom.  We added on a new master bedroom and have just recently "moved" into there, so there is still lots to do in that area, plus the next phase will be adding a little office, laundry room and a bathroom off the master bedroom.  The space is already there it is our old bedroom so we have some walls to knock down and put up and hopefully it will all go together pretty easily.  Our injuries have hindered our ability to do things at our "normal pace", ya know work all day, work work work till we get it done. Well, we sure have learned alot about our patience, because this project is taking us forever.  But that is ok, we are do it yourself-ers so we are used to things not always going our way, mostly we use plan b, c, d, e and sometimes f !  It is very exciting to see the house take on our personality, it is such a comfortable and homey place to us, we are living a much more relaxed, family oriented lifestyle these days.  That is what the northern air will do to you!  So without further ado, I will now show you a glimpse into our "new" home, please keep in mind that we still have a ton of little details to take care of, we call them winter projects, so don't pay attention to some missing trim, outlets, fixtures etc... we are living in the mess while we work on it! 

Welcome, this is where you will eventually walk into our home, however there is no sidewalk on the other side of this door yet, we have to wait till spring for the cement, so for now it is just the puppy door and the spot where the old house meets the new.  We uncovered this cool wooden siding that used to be the outside of the house from the 1950's, it had that cottage feel to it and I mentioned to Mark that  I would like to keep it exposed instead of drywall over it, so a coat of paint later and we are in love with the look. I added some coat hooks from Hobby Lobby, a family photo, hung an upside down planter for a mini shelf (we are really tight on space in this area) and it works perfectly as a little foyer.  Notice our new front door, I chose to paint it a welcoming red color. Come on in!!
The first thing you notice when you enter is our new puppy Asher, he will most likely meet you at the door!

I searched a long time for a sign for this area, this one by Danielson Designs is perfect:

Relax, let your guard down, feel free to be yourself,  when you are here you are home with family

We love having company, our house is always welcome to visitors, this is where you will enter the family room.

I really used what I already had in this home, I found a few new accessories but that is about it, most everything I have had  This table has been in my family longer than I have!

Have a seat!!
My family room by Ikea, all of our furniture is from there, I had the bookshelf and boxes in Dayton's old room, they work wonderfully for holding cd's, wii, videos etc..I am really trying hard in this house to make sure everything has a place, I want to "live" in this house and it needs to work for us, every little bit if storage space is precious.  The tv had been on the other wall for as long as I could remember, when the cable guy came to work on other areas during construction I asked if he could move it to this wall instead, I love looking out the huge picture windows now. 

The old front door used to be in this opening (above), we are going to open it up a bit when we do the next phase.  Our new bedroom is now accessed past the doorway.

We painted the bookshelf in the dining room and brougth my photo albums out of storage ,what a perfect place to store them. 
I am sure you recognize this cupboard, I had my Christmas village in it during the holidays and recently acquired my parents Rosenthal china that they had purchased in Germany when they were first married, it fits perfectly in here and is simple enough to to keep on display in this space. 

One of the first things we did last year was put up this oversized fixture from Ballards.  I just love it!


A look from the kitchen into the dining room,(above) and from the family room (below), I have loved adding bits of black  and I am so pleased with the classy-ness yet casual-ness that it provides.
We put in new appliances at the last minute, our old ones had to go back to our other house in order to sell it.  That was ok with me!!!  I like the look of the stainless but boy, what a bugger to keep clean!


I love our hardwood floors, Hand Scraped Maple Country from Home Depot, can't wait to have the rest of the house in these!  We put them in our new bedroom too, oh be still my heart!!!

Talk about matters of the heart, my hubby has the sweetest heart, he left me a little note this week while he is gone. 
I just love how the kitchen looks now, we tiled the backsplash with subway tile, purchased all the cabinets through Ikea and I am so happy with the quality and look of them!

There is not alot of natural lighting in here so lighting was important, I chose to have lights put into our cupboards and it makes such a difference.

Onto the new parts of the house:  Above is the shot of the foyer from the outside, notice our snowfalling!!!We chose slate tiles for this space.
Ahh, our little piece of Heaven!  While we both had our broken bones, our bed was up against a wall in our old bedroom, we had to crawl over each other and literally broke the bed 3 times trying to get comfortable, pathetic I know!!!  So the day the floors were laid, I insisted that our bed if nothing else get moved into place, what a blessing to walk around all sides of our bed!  Trust me, when you use a walker that is important!!  I purchased the pickstitch quilt from PB and a rug from there was our Christmas gift from my mom, everything else we already had. 

My old suitcases make a nightstand for hubby!


I have had these frames forever, last week Mark's uncle brought over some old photos from his parents farm, I framed this one in particular, the day that farm was sold, in the early 1900's, you can see the buggies and horses on the farm.  I kept it the focal point by only adding scrapbooking paper in all the other frames, keeping with the muted tones. 

A little old sliver and shine in here gives this room just a bit of elegance.  I tried to use newer accessories and it just felt like it did not fit the rest of the house, so I went with my old standard vintage pieces to give me the feel that I wanted in here.  We still have lots of little things to do in here, we just put a door and closet doors on this week!


I had originally picked this quilt up at Marshall's/Tj's etc. not sure, for Myah's room last year, it ended up not working in there so I pulled it out of storage and love how the gray and taupes helped pull our room together. 

Looks like my shade needs adjusting!! Must be from the last party we had , ha ha!!
I put on my wellies and risked my life for this shot in the snow of our new front door!  Just kidding!

Oh how we love our little Yorkie, Asher!!! He is so sweet! 
Here are just a few random shots from around our house:
I have a small collection of vintage cameras:
Petosky stones can only be found near that town in Michigan, we were there for our anniversary and stayed on the beach, I met a woman who showed me how to identify the stones before they are polished,  of course I hauled a bunch home with me!
My parent's Rosenthal china, they still had the crating that it was shipped in, so special.

My old window just had to find a spot in this house!!!


The view from the other side, that door will lead to our bathroom, and I am still unsure as to how I am going to cover up that beautiful electrical box, any ideas!  Oh yeah, and don't make fun of my old lady walker, I still use it now and then!

Love the double fan from Lowe's reminds me of Florida!  Don't laugh at my tv on my chair, my hubby has to hang it on the wall! 

My sister gave me these gorgeous chairs to use, I have to find a fabric for the pads.  My mom gave me this table from her garage, I am not sure if I am going to paint it or not yet!
I love using the burlap fabrics in this house, so country cottagey to me! 

One of my favorite spots in the house, the bottom photo is of a camera that my grandmother gave to my mom when she was 19 and went to live in Germany after dad was drafted. 

For the past 4 years we have been getting live Christmas trees, we cut our own down at a tree farm, we love doing this as a family, each year hubby trims off a sliver so we can keep it with the date on it. 


This tiny print is a purchase from Pizitz, our favorite place in Seaside, in honor of our 25 years together last year.
Mossy green balls have taken over my house, here one is placed in a flower pot on the kitchen counter.
I went around and around about getting rid of my brown transferware, but at the 11th hour I tried it in my lit cupboards and fell back in love with it again, I don't think it is going anywhere anytime soon!
My Grandmother's old crock in the kitchen, I have tried not to keep every sentimental piece in my life, honestly, if it does not have  a function  it is moving on to another home!  I just do not have space here to store things just "because".  I have been working very hard on simplifying our life!

I did keep some of our grandmothers cookbooks, along with my own favorites in a basket on the island.

Loving my little baby brownie camera!And some things are still my favorites even if they were someone eles junk!  I hope you enjoyed this little tour of the areas of our home that are pretty much finished, it has taken alot of blood, sweat and tears to get to this point but it is all good, I feel so content here, we all do!  To see some before photos go here:

http://abowlfulloflemons.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/tonihammersley/BFOLprojectbutton.jpg" />

22 comments:

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

You guys have done a beautiful job. So many sweet details. I love that you left the siding on in the entry. You've created a peaceful home with a lovely color palette.

We have talked of doing something similar with my husbands parents when they're ready, so I love seeing what you've accomplished.

Comeca Jones said...

How beautiful and peaceful your home home is thanks for sharing it.

Blondie's Journal said...

What a wonderful post, Leslie! You have made so much progress in your home and I love how simple and fresh everything looks. It really is all in the detail and you have such a great eye for it!

Asher is just the sweetest...what a cute little face he has!

Take care!

XO,
Jane

Samantha2818 said...

Beautiful! You've made a real home and it's great how you've used so may old family pieces which make it truly unique and very welcoming!

Samantha2818 said...

Beautiful! You've made a real home and it's wonderful that you've incorporated so many old family pieces which make your home unique and really welcoming.

paige said...

it looks amazing leslie!!!
love every detail!!
especially your red door, how fun and charming
xo

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Just came across your blog...Your photos are wonderful and I love your style of decor....

I am a new follower.....and look forward to reading more of your posts.

Shannon said...

I was so excited to see a new post from you! I'm glad you and your husband are doing better and how amazing all of your hard work has paid off. I love the red door and hard wood floors. Your home looks so warm and cozy. Thank you for sharing it all with us :)

Kiri said...

Your house is gorgeous! I love the living room and kitchen...so pretty! The striped curtains and flower rug have inspired me to do something similar for our white kitchen!

Unknown said...

Nice job. I loved browsing the photos. You are inspiring me. We don't own our own home yet but I know I will someday soon. I love what you've done to the place!

Jennifer Spadaro said...

I love everything about your house, and I have a lot of the same furniture, I was kind of laughing. So nice to have found you, and I just became a follower!

Mark Norkaitis said...

love your blog! adding you to my side row!
Mark @ room363

tracie c. said...

I am so proud of you both! You have done such a beautiful job! I am soooo loving everything and how you have done all this with your injuries is a real inspiration!!!
Xo always! Tracie

Carly said...

Wow Leslie I just love your house! All the great details and that dining room light fixture is just fabulous! I could move right in! :-)

Anonymous said...

Love it! Love all the details. Thanks for the lovely tour. Have missed you, Wendy

Vicki said...

I loved this tour of your changes! CHARMING is the best word to describe your warm home!

Your red door is to die for!!!! Love it!

I seriously need to get up there and visit...

Brooke said...

I love it!! You've done a wonderful job! Very cozy too!

Sheila said...

I'm amazed at all you have accomplished! It looks wonderful. I have a suggestion to cover your electrical box. You could just find a piece of artwork that you like to cover it. If you don't want to have to remove it to access the panel, you can put it on a piano hinge so it just swings out of the way. I bet your sister could create something perfect for that spot! (I so miss her blog!)

I look forward to seeing your home evolve with you and your family.

heather said...

Beautiful site. Beautiful home!

I found the picture of your familyroom on pinterest and clicked hoping to find a link to where I could find those fabulous drapes you have. If you don't mind sharing I'd greatly appreciate it!

Lori said...

Hey, just sent you an email then decided to come see for myself!
You've been busy and you're home looks beautiful!! So many pretty details.
I'm doing a major purging too (will share more later) and can relate to get ridding of stuff. It's been tough, easier said than done that's for sure!:)
I had to laugh at your transferware photo....saw that and LOVED it....I think quite possibly my favorite thing in your house....then read that you almost got rid of...are you NUTS?!!! lol SO pretty!
Love the front door, it's positively charming...it's all just lovely!! And I'm so happy that you all are happy back home!Xo

Cindy Douglass said...

Love your home. Very warm and inviting. Was wondering where you got the round rug under your table. I need something like that as my space is tight in our eat in kitchen.

Thanks,
Cindy
Cindyanddrew.blogspot.com

AntiqueChase said...

One: I was thinking a fabric subway scroll would be perfect to cover the electric box in your room.

Two: I have the same Ethan Allen Ladderback chairs and buffet you have in your kitchen. Mine is the full hutch you can see in my dining room along with the chairs.

Three: when you tire of your brown transferware let me know and I will travel the country to come get it, lol

Four: I need to seriously edit my house after viewing your sister's house and yours...

Five: you are my new favorite blog :)

Marcy