Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Warming Up To Fall

I put my sweet velvet pumpkin inside a tiny little birds nest that I found in one of my ferns on the porch! Thank you little birdie!!!

I am just not ready to hang up my flip flops just yet, I am going to squeeze as much as I can out of our crummy summer.  However, today is the first day that my kiddos are both in school full time and I am feeling the nesting instinct coming on again.  Maybe it is the cooler nights that are making me feel the need to warm things up a bit.  Can I just say I love my Ikea furniture, many of you have asked how I like it and so far so good.  I still want to purchase an ottoman but that will come when I get some more $$.  I am not about to put away all of my shells and beachy stuff, that is just who we are so I have to work around it, besides, staring at those things is what gets me through our long upcoming winter months, yuk!!!  I have picked up a few pieces at late season yard sales and decided to put them in the family room to make it a bit warmer and fall-ish.  I used to go all out decorating for fall, I just have not had the extra time or energy over the past few seasons so I put out just bits and pieces here and there.  I ordered the cutest, tiniest little velvet pumkin, boy are those hard to find, it is just so sweet and the perfect little accent piece. 
I wish you had smell-o-internet because my house smells so wonderful right now, my hubby is making a batch of home-made chocolate chip cookies for the kiddos when they get home!  I know the kids will be hungry and tired when they get home today, I hope they find comfort in the small changes that I made, warm candles, cozy throws and fresh cookies, I can't wait to hear about their day!  P.S. If you are stopping by from The Lettered Cottage, feel free to look in my archives, most of my home is furnished by purchases from yard sales!!!

I took the nasty blinds down and left just a light cotton panel from Ikea filter the light for us. We really don't need the privacy on this side of the house anyhow.  I still love my $5 dresser that is now our entertainment center!
A few yard sale items that were just too cheap to pass up, the cute little matching tables are made of metal and rattan, they were a dollar a piece at a barn sale!  And the cool large door was $5, I brought up my little walnut colored table to bring some warmth into the space as well, and I added a rug that I stole from my bathroom.
This sale had llamas staring at me while I shopped!  Too funny! I could not let them distract me from my $2 tables!

I wish this magazine was still in print, I saved every copy that I had. It has provided me with some great inspiration, it is much easier to organize when the kiddoes are not around the house!

I love the warmth that this rug gave the room. It has been moved all around my house!
Such a cool old door, Ijust propped it up for some height in the room.
I even changed the top of my hutch in the kitchen, I used my green dollar screen, I just flipped it around to show the brown side.  I was able to fill my little white cupboard with all kinds of yard sale finds this year, lots of ironstone to love!
It won't be long and the view out of my window will be gorgeous red and orange maple leaves!
Another view, I love not having the blinds on the windows! The cute little bench/footstool was a $3 find along with the pail! 

I am still not giving up on summer!!!

24 comments:

Jena@ Involving Color said...

Your living room is gorgeous! It is so peaceful and airy. Love it!

Vivre Le Jour said...

You have such a gorgeous home. It looks so serene! Come on over to my house and help me!!!! :)

Kara
http://vivrelejour.blogspot.com

The Pineapple Room said...

I absolutely love the picture of the pumpkin in the seashells. Perhaps i've been looking at this all wrong....they can co-exist:) Happy Fall-mmer

Unknown said...

Love your room, and the changes are so simple yet pretty and warm. Back to school means back to work for me, but after school today I baked two pumpkin pies and one lemon meringue for my guys. Am I ever glad I did, the house smells wonderful and there is a coolish breeze with the windown open (21C/70F).
I had to chuckle at the comment for The Pineapple Room (above)....Fall-mmer.
I had Summer-Fall in my mind as I was reading.

Anonymous said...

you are a true nester! I can't believe you've already changed the top of your hutch! I haven't had time to be on the computer today but the picture of your little velvet pumpkin in the mug was calling to me and I had to come take a peek. What's in the bowl on the corner in your kitchen? I can't tell. Is it white pumpkins. I'm so nosy. :)

I love how you wrote about making the home welcoming for the kiddos. I just added a yummy grey throw to make me feel better about the grey yucky weather and you can never burn enough candles in the fall!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Your room is so beautiful. Very fresh and peaceful looking. You have found some wonderful things for your home, Love & blessings from NC!

Unknown said...

Everything is just beautiful...love the velvet pumpkin!

LiveLikeYou said...

Your home is beautiful and peaceful! Great flea market finds and a perfect mixture of white and beige.

The Smith Hotel said...

Love that sweet pumpkin! Such a nice comfy house you have. I did spy the little hat lamp shade-I have the same one but I could never find a little lamp to use it on! So it sits in my closet until Christmas and I put it on top of a small Christmas tree!

Thanks for sharing,
Jody

Dear Lillie said...

I so love looking at pictures of your beautiful home and that velvet pumpkin is gorgeous!

NanaDiana said...

It feels just homey at your house! It is so restful and happy feeling and even though it is all white I would feel comfortable just slouching in one of your chairs with a cuppa coffe...okay..okay...I promise not to spill. Lovely..thanks for sharing it with all of us!

You had me at the pumpkin in the nest~;>) Diana

Bring Pretty Back said...

I am sooo in the mood for fall!
Your home is so peaceful looking. I just love it.'Chocolate chip cookie makin" hubby... that's a keeper!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Love the peek into your home.

It is sad that so many wonderful magazines have gone out of business. I will always be a print media girl.

Fondly,
Glenda

mimi said...

oh my goodness, I'm loving your home. I too love the rug it makes it really warms up the space but remains neutral which I love. Your tables were awesome additions! Also LOve the color of your walls. beautiful! P.S., I'm still clinging to summer too.

Renée said...

Congratulations, your nesting pumpkin made this week's Top 5 Hits! Come check it out and grab a button. I'm with you, still longing for more summer. Thanks for a glimpse into your beautiful surroundings.

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

I can just imagine how those trees with fall foliage will look out those windows... with all the light/white in the room it will really emphasize the fall display out your windows! Please show an update!

The little velvet pumpkin is ADORABLE.

I'm so jealous of all of your yard sale finds, lucky you!

Chris

emily said...

Love your style!

Wish I could use more white, but with two shedding dogs it would be a nightmare!

Anonymous said...

The velvet pumpkin is so sweet and your crisp white is DIVINE!

Chrissy said...

So beautiful! I love, love, love the crisp white! You have amazing taste! :)

Jen said...

Just found your blog through Kelly's Korner; love it! I loveeee your living room; seriously just gorgeous! How peaceful :)

twinkietotmom said...

I absolutely love how clean and crisp the room is and that you can decorate it any which way! I'm totally checking back to see your fall look!

BTW...totally looks like this room is out of a magaizine! Beautiful!

~MeLiSsA~ said...

Wow, I love your room! Makes me want to curl up on your couch with a book. :)

The fireplace area is my fav... and the frames on it, awesome!

Katie said...

I love the "feel" of your home! It feels so calming! I would love for my home to feel that way! You are VERY talented!

Laurie said...

Fabulous taste! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!